Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Making of a Quilt




I was alone a lot this past winter and in my loneliness decided it was time to make a quilt. So I had been thinking about all these nice embroidered pillowcases and other items that my mom and my grandma had made. So I decided to cut them up and make a quilt containing as many of them as possible so here are the results of that thought. I did not have a pattern to follow just basically layed it all down on my bed and started pining it together in random order. I am pleased with the results and now I have mom and grandma wrapped around me on those cold nights. The begining thoughtsat first I wasn't sure I wanted to cut all of them up but I decided that I could enjoy them more if they were in my site more often...........
This was a pillow case made by my mom Bonnie Faye Compton This was a pillow case made by my grandma Nancy Ann CookThis is a quilt square made by me Beki Denise Steg
This was a scarf made by my grandma Nancy Ann Cook and she gave it to me when I was 12 I have always cherished it as she was teaching me to embroidery and everytime I look at it I remember sitting on her pastic covered couch and her telling me not to rush my stitches take your time and do it right the first time. She was a great teacher and so talented in so many areas. Grandma was so patient with me and always telling me that I was going to be so good at this. I also learned to crochet from her when I was 9 and she told me that my work was perfect. I miss my grandma in so many ways but everytime I start to do a project I hear her voice telling me now take your time and do it right the first time.................Thanks grandma I love you.!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

It's beautiful.. So when do you want to teach Lex?!!

Glory of Glass said...

As soon as possible, and for all the girls I hope to leave some of the arts behind for them to carry on. My grandma was so worried that no one would remember her talents and I am so proud to keep them all alive and moving on. Lexi you are next to learn to wonderful art of crochet, and embroidery.......

Jen Welch said...

Beki~
This is gorgeous! How do you cut out your squares? I want to make a fun summer picnic quilt, but am nervous about getting the proper corners etc... Do you measure all of them and just use a cutting wheel? Let me know your tricks. :) Belssings~
Jen Welch